Petitioning parliament to make SE fracking ban law
We need your help now!
In the lead up to the last election the SA Liberal Government promised a 10 year ban on fracking in the SE of SA, but now they are elected they are dithering on putting the commitment into law. Read the background section below for more details.
Independent MP for the seat of Mt Gambier Troy Bell has introduced the Legislation the Liberals should have into the lower house, and Greens MLC Mark Parnell has introduced the same legislation to the upper house.
We will be backing this push for legislation in a range of ways and we need your help – the first thing you can do is demonstrate support by signing and getting signatures on the formal parliamentary petition.
How to help
This is a formal parliamentary petition and there are strict rules about how they are filled out. All petitions must be original copies, not scanned, faxed, emailed or signed online and only signed once per person. They need to be returned in person or by mail to the address at the bottom of the petition.
- You can download the petition here, print it out, and get started! Your first goal – get 3 sheets signed and returned. Download the petition: 10 Year Moratorium on fracking 2018 petition
- Then take the next step – become a petition coordinator! Aim to get 6 people to do the same and get 3 sheets filled out. Use this handy Petition Record Sheet to keep track.
- Download a printable Background and Instructions for getting signatures on the Petition for your reference and to share.
- 1st Deadline: 30th July 2018 (please send all filled out petition sheets in by this date) 2nd and final deadline: 28th September.
- Need help? Advice? Want us to post you printed out petitions? Please let us know how we can help get you started contact us for more info.
- Stay informed by signing up to receive our newsletter using the form on the front page of the website or contact page. The planet and the people of the Limestone Coast thank you.
Background to the petition
The Limestone Coast region in the SE of SA is prime agricultural land, home to the Coonawarra wine region, a crucial food bowl and a thriving tourism industry. But gas mining threatens the life blood of the region – the groundwater, as well as our clean, green image and the health of our community.
The Government must put its commitment to a moratorium on fracking in the SE into law.
If you have been following the campaign you already know that after years of community organisation and action we secured from the Liberals in SA a pre election promise for a 10 year moratorium on fracking. Fracking is the highest risk form of gas mining and a 10 year ban is a huge step forward toward our goal of protecting our land, families, industries and community.
However the moratorium is currently only a verbal commitment and does not protect the South East from any potential change of government or government policy over the next 10 years.
Legislation for the moratorium is required to provide the certainty that farmers, winemakers, tourism operators, small business and the community need to invest in the future.
We need you to get hands on and help now! – it’s easy and anyone can do it, thank you for your help to keep our community safe from fracking.